Missouri property owners must adhere to certain legal obligations in order to keep their premises safe for customers, guests, and other visitors. If you have tripped or slipped and injured yourself because of a hazard on someone else’s property, you may be entitled to certain types of compensation for lost wages and loss of earning potential, medical bills, and pain and suffering. At Wolff and Wolff Trial Lawyers, we have the extensive experience with slip and fall accidents that you need to obtain fair and full compensation.
Common Injuries From Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are one of the leading causes of some of the most severe injuries that may lead to agonizing pain and suffering that lasts a lifetime. These injuries can occur when a property owner fails to maintain a walkway or post a warning sign in a dangerous area. Several of the most common causes of slip and fall injuries include:
- Walking surfaces with potholes or cracked or broken sidewalks
- Polished or waxed floor surfaces
- Leaks and spills
- Debris or foreign objects in walking paths
- Uneven pavement or gravel
- Stairs that are too loose, too steep, feature narrow treads, or broken handrails
Slip and fall accidents can lead to broken or fractured bones, spinal cord injuries from paraplegia, quadriplegia, and nerve damage, head trauma as a result of brain damage, cuts and bruises, and in some cases a fetal miscarriage.
Steps to Take If You’re Involved in a Slip and Fall Accident
In the event that you are injured in a slip and fall accident or any type of accident in a grocery store, restaurant, hotel, workplace facility, place of worship, or any other property that is not your own, you should take the following steps:
- Seek medical attention immediately.
- If possible, file an accident report prior to leaving the premises.
- Preserve evidence by taking photographs of the hazardous area that led to the trip or fall. Ensure that all photos are accurate and clearly visible. You may also want to write down detailed information regarding the slip and fall incident so that you do not forget any important details in the future.
- Ask any witnesses for their names and telephone numbers.
- Prior to speaking to the insurance company of the building owner or manager, consult a reliable slip and fall attorney such as Alvin Wolff Jr.
Our Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys Can Help
St. Louis slip and fall accident attorney Alvin Wolff Jr. and his team will take the time to understand the circumstances of your accident and investigate its causes to file a strong claim that will give you the complete compensation you deserve. If you or a loved one was involved in a slip and fall accident, contact us today for a complimentary, no-obligation consultation.